27 April 2007

Anthony H. Lewis and the Order of Saint David.


Chronologically, I should follow up in previous posting with archive material regards the Patriotic Front, but I have decided instead to dedicate a posting to old friend, comrade and fellow 60's Adfywiadwr Toni Lewis, his idea of an 'Order of Saint David' and what was eventually born 'The Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint David'. I do so for a number of reasons, in main because Toni made a great impression on me, and during my early years in the 60's was very my ''Patriotic Mentor'', who was also the ''political motivator'' behind my young enthusiasm to, with him co - found, first the Anti - Sais Front and then the Patriotic Front. Many patriots in the ''sixties'' knew Toni as the ''Badge Man'' and in years since as the ''Baner Man'', for sure Toni had a great interest in badges and this led him towards being one of our homeland great crafts persons as a respected silversmith. It was of course Toni's interest in Welsh Heraldry and work on producing flags and banners which led to the revival of use of such at patriotic commemorations and rallies. However, not greatly know was the fact that Toni was an original 'Alternative Nationalist' patriotic thinker, a fact I shall dwell on when I come to produce posting on the Patriotic Front. However, it was Toni's enthudiastic creative energy in being always patriotically active and consistant in persuence of ideas he cherished that would be most inspirational. In this area it was Toni's patriotic passion to see established an alternative nationalist range of awards for various patriotic devotions and contributions to various patriotic causes, in which he was quite persistant over the years. These award schemes and medals that went with them, in the first instant only got as far as the 'FWA Military Medal' and 'Cilmeri Medal', the latter awarded for patriotic meritous long service to the cause.


However, it was an 'Order of Saint David' which Toni particularly cherished as the award he sought most to see organised and made available to wider Welsh public for services to our country, again it was an idea he never fully managed to get off the ground, untill with Mark Roberts he founded in September of 2001, the MILITARY and HOSPITALLER ORDER of SAINT DAVID.


Above are Toni's original notes on various ''Orders/Awards'' on the left draft written in 1966, the second sheet of notes on right was it appears written by Toni in connection with the establishment of the M.H.O.S.D in mind. Toni had informed me of these developments sometime in year 2000 or maybe 2001, just after he had returned from Isle of Man to live in Wales. I went to stay with him in Aberaeron, and for my bedtime reading Toni gave me a buetiful bound book within which was information on M.H.O.S.D, the writting therein, as I remember was handwritten in galigraphy form, I only got through the first few pages before I got tired and fell asleep. If it is the same document I have now, from Toni's archive, I presume it was a draft constitution of an intended Miltary and Hospitaller Order of Saint David, which I now have in printed form from Toni's archive passed on to me following his death. See here and below copies of cover and two of 1o pages, these two pages are perhaps the most ''exciting'' as the rest of it reads like a very ''legalised'' business plan?



The main objective as outlined below, is an ideal which along with Toni's ideas of awards is something most patriots would agree with, and the way Toni verbally informed of development of the M.H.O.S.D. was not of great interest to me but I understood Toni's interest and active involvement.








Not least because Toni was in a time of growing illhealth finding happiness in doing what he liked to creativelly do best, that being of course making ''Baners and Badges'' for the M.H.O.S.D. However, in time I was made aware that Mark Roberts was involved in a business which many viewed unsympathetically (see on Web), I mentioned this to Toni, he said it was all ''Black Propaganda'' and defended Mark. I left it at that, as Mark, who I hardly knew, was it seemed a good companion to Toni and they were often away on trips to attend ceremonies of ''Other Orders''. Toni would inform me from time to time of all this, and I must admit I was not taking that much interest really, as I did not view it as anything I could really be keen on or involved in activelly as an urgent patriotic priority. particularly as in time, I became more informed as to who was being brought into the ranks of the ''Knights of Saint David'', hardly the most radical of patriots and certainly not the most politically active of nationalists, let alone ''Alternative Nationalists''.


My growing concern in these times, was the advance of ''Tartan Taffery'' with all it's 'Baner Dewi' being promoted over and above 'Baner Glyndwr' and an annual 'Dydd Dewi Day' Parade in Caerdydd which I seen as being used for other than, to my mind ''ultra - truistic'' patriotic purpose and certainly, the ''whole package'' not advancing 'alternative' nationalist movement, cause and struggle'(see my Adfywiad blog http://adfywiad.blogspot.com for my causes for concern and arguements, etc).


Toni died in November 2005, and in time his politcal archive was passed on to me, amongst his papers was material relating to the establishment of the M.H.O.S.D. Upon reading these, I seen much I personally would disagree with as:

* The kind of ''masonic mystery'' of it all, and all a bit peddling in 19th century petty bourgeise romanticsm with allusion to pretentsions of latter day dieing ''aristocratic granduer''. (type of stuff you get a whiff of in books as 'Holy Blood - Holy Grail' etc)

* It's exclusive nature, rather than 'inclusive nationalism', in this respect I was informed of a meeting of ''The Order'' in Porthcawl where a well known ''nationalist'' was physically barred from entering a meeting, for a reason of then seen, unsuitability but whom since has become one of the ''unkilted poodles'' of ''Tartan Taffery''.

* All this ''christianity thing'' I find rather bogus to say the least but it's all the ''vowing to kneel'' and searing of oaths to serve under the ''anglican'' Cross of Saint David which also rubs me up the wrong way. I find it all at odds with Toni's ''Celtic Paganism''.

* However, then there's all the ''Tartan Taffery'' of ''Cilts Cymraeg'', promoted as the ''costume uniform'' of the ''Knights of Saint David'' that really concerned me upon reading minutes of founding meetings. There mentioned within the minutes are the three people most responsible fore promoting ''Tartan Taffery'', they being
Mark Roberts - M.H.O.S.D, Henry Jones Davies - Cambria Magazine
and it appears dear old Toni (again what was Toni thinking? he always argued that the Brythons wore trews not Kilts, but he did have made for himsef an IoM tartan trews). These three ''Knights of Saint David'', according to M.H.O.S.D minutes being chiefly reponsible for the ''Regalia'' of M.H.O.S.D, that being very much, the whole 'Tartan Taff'' experience as inspired in Cymry by, then John Wake of the Tartan Centre and with whom the ''Knights'' were to contact for their £600.oo's worth of ''Regalia''. Obviously this implied that M.H.O.S.D aspired to be a bit of a ''Rich Mans Club'' as well?


Another good reason to make me even more unsympathetic to say the least, but it's not the least to the fore in my mind has come the possibility of this rather ''secretive body'' being the vechile and platform, perhaps for an ''Hidden Agenda?'' In such case I would definatly be in opposion to, particularly has it might thwart any revival of a truelly radical Alternative Welsh Nationalist Movement and Struggle? or even otherwise distract, as example the 'Message of Treachery' sent from the annual Saint David's Day parade to the 'Sham Senedd' on 1 - 3 - 2006.

Whatever? essentially Toni's original ideas of ''orders '' meaning ''awards'', I have no problem with, other that I have been witness to such he started in Cilmeri connection being abused and made to look rediculous. In main by handing out ''medals'' to those who not really deserve them, and in some instances ''clowns'' and maybe some who should be awarded 'White Feathers' not medals. One thing in favour of the M.H.O.S.D. they may have been more responsibly organised for such awards handing out than the disaster that such became at Cilmeri, but then that does not justify the existence of ''The Order'' when much else is weighed up.

In this instance patriots would have to seriously consider do they wish to see in existance a ''body'' as the M.H.O.S.D. with a ''Grand Sovereign Master'', be or not be it, Mark Roberts, Marcher Lord of Trelleck aka ''Marcher Lord of Saint David?''.

Footnote: I recieved an email last week from Gareth Lockwood, forwarding a reply to his enquiry addressed to Henry Jones Davies of Cambria Magazine. G.L. was concerned as to any connection between HJD and M.H.O.S.D, the reply to G.L, from HJD stated that M.H.O.S.D. died with Toni in 2005, therefore I consider it permissable now to publish in this AWNM&S History Archive Blog, papers on this ''body'' from Toni's political archive. Up to now, I have only circulated copies to a limited group of patriots, seeking their views on it all, I am not suprized that those with a ''supa/knee jerk Patriotic Political philosophy'' think it's a good idea, even though many of they would not be considered for membership or not have the funds to make of them ''Knights of Saint David''. Others of more radical nationalist philosophy oppose but to be honest a larger group seem to be saying the ''Jury Remains Out'' on the Miltary Hospitaller Order of Saint David. Sad for them, for if indeed M.H.O.S.D went to the grave with Toni, then the ''Jury will be out for a long time''. As to the truth? perhaps those who were at the initial founding meeting may see fit sooner or later to issue a statement to clarify, if indeed M.H.O.S.D has indeed demised? But some how, I think the ''Knights (by any other name?) of Saint David will go marching on, you will possibly see them best in all their ''Tartan Taffery'' at the annual Cambria & Co 'Dydd Dewi' parade in Caerdydd. As for 'Baner Dewi', I remain opposed for reasons already stated but even more so now that it is also being used by the British Nationalist Party (see on TV election adress) as well as the the 'Anglican' Church in Wales, Welsh Christian Party and Cardiff City Football Club. If nationalist must march, follow and wave about a ''Christian Cross'' would it not be better to adopt a flag with a 'Celtic Cross' there upon and not that ''Yellow Cross'' of Cathar persecution and forced redemption on pain of death by burning? THINK ABOUT IT! (See below design Idea which may be more suitable, and looks as if would have more spectacular impact at Commemorations, Rallies and Parades.)

Note: Following posting after this will contain material from my M.H.O.S.D folder - AWNM&S History Archive, published in this associated blog, be I in agreement or not with M.H.O.S.D , I must recognise it as a ''body'' that I would detirmine as representing an ''Alternative Welsh Nationalism''. Perhaps the last of such ''bodies'', as Cymru Rydd is in demise and Balchder Cymru in transformation as the Cambrian Band = ''The only ''Cilted Band'' in Cymru'', thankfully! It seems that even the Ultra - Nationalist Journal 'Ein Gwlad' has also folded, so it really is a case of ''Whither Alternative Nationalism?'' or indeed ''Welsh Republicanism?''

Fin!